Trenton Lowe is the new MAYOR of Wizardville!
Last week Trent came home from school and was going on and on and on about running for Mayor. He showed me papers from his teacher explaining the activity. The kids were learning about government and elections in class, and were to have a class election of their own. The kids were told they could run for city council or mayor or just vote. Of course Trent, being the "shoot for the moon" kinda kid insisted on running for mayor. He was to make a poster, have a slogan that rhymed, and prepare and present a speech on Monday.
Trent was very specific on what his poster was to look like. He said he wanted it to be red, white, and blue, look like an American flag, have a big #1 and lots of stars. So on Saturday, we got to work. Donald helped Trent design his poster while I helped with his speech.
Monday he went to school, all ready and nervous yet excited to meet the mayor of our city. Sadly, the mayor was not coming till Wednesday. Nonetheless, there were 7 children running for mayor, so they presented their speeches to the class and had a class vote, narrowing it down to 4 candidates. After Trent's speech, he handed out laffy taffy's with his picture and slogan on them (what a politician right - bribery). He made it into the top 4.
Tuesday night Trent was feeling kinda sick, and we found that he was running a low temp. He was shattered. He begged to go to school on Wednesday because he wanted to meet the mayor. I told him that we will see how he feels thru the night, and in the morning, and decide then. He had a very long personal prayer that evening. When he woke up this morning, he was fever free, and feeling like his normal energetic self. He practices his speech over breakfast and was all ready to meet the mayor of our city.
I got a phone call around 10:30 a.m. today, it was Trent. He just said hello at first, so of course I was thinking that he must be running a fever again and the poor boy was going to be devastated. Instead, I heard him say "mom, I am the new mayor of our class" and then he just laughed. I could his his teacher in the background, she was so proud of him. Trent is really excited, he even gets to go visit the mayor in his office one day (not sure when, I will find out details later this week, I am sure).
Nonetheless, I am so proud of my young man. I find myself looking up to him more than I ever knew was possible. He is just so amazing! So, I say, "way to go Trent, I knew you could do it!"
(btw, Wizardwille is what they call their class, they are "White's wizards of Wizardville".)



4 comments:
That is soo cool! And what a great poster...a very creative kiddo you got there!
Oh, wow! How fun. Congratulations!
Go Trent! What a great achievement!
And congrats to you too Camille for having such a great kid!
Way to go Trent! That's the way to get things done. Have fun being the mayor!
Post a Comment