Sunday, October 12, 2008

Snorkeling (part 6)


(Aren't these photo's beautiful?  We discovered this local photographer on Maui and those two pictures are from their collection.)

We were lucky enough to go snorkeling several times.  As I have mentioned in the first post in Maui, we went on a kayaking snorkel trip.  We were able to do 3 snorkel swims on that day and we had a great time.

We went snorkeling a few times at a spot about 30 minutes from our condo, just south of Big Beach that was a natural reserve.   Our first attempt to snorkel on our own, my mask kept fogging up and I was just really nervous in the water.  So, that afternoon we went and go some defog for masks and tried again the next day.  I did much better this day, however, the water was not nearly as clear, so that was a bummer.  We went back a few days later and the water was absolutely breathtaking and clear.  



Wednesday, the day before we left the island we did a couple more snorkel swims.  The first one was at Black Rock and it was GORGEOUS!  Donald also did some cliff diving here - this is his claim to the island adventure fame!  He climbed the rocks and dove down into the crystal clear water where there were snorkelers everywhere.  Not only were there people scattered about the water, but when looking down from the top of the rocks, the boulders underneath looked to be about 4 feet below the surface, so that really worked on Don's nerves as he tried to swallow hard and do the dive.  He did it twice and loved it!  Of course we had to get it on video, so I volunteered my services on the nice hot, dry, soft sand as he proceeded to risk his life.  Anyway, I digress, the fish were beautiful here and we got to see couple turtles as well.  

(video clips at the bottom of the post)

After Black Rock beach to the blowhole and then to Honolua Bay for some more snorkeling.  It was a rather large cove that is tucked away on the northern shore just a couple miles from Slaughterhouse Beach.  By the time we made it to the Bay, it was already late afternoon and I was exhausted.  We had been hiking and swimming and snorkeling and in the sun all day long.  You can tell from these pictures that I do not look all that thrilled.    By the time we got home that evening all I wanted to do was sleep.

We had a fantastic time snorkeling, and I loved how with each location there were different fish to swim with.  

No comments: