Monday, August 18, 2008

Friday Night Moonlight Run

I found out earlier in the week that there was a 5k race on Friday night. I was not going to run it at first, but then everyone was telling me I should, in spite of the fact of it being ran at 10 pm, in the heat of August, and during the time I would be cuddled up on the sofa watching the Olympics. I decided that I would be disappointed in myself if I did not run, so I decided to do it.
I went to the race around 9 pm and we were suppose to start our run at 10 pm. There were so many people there and some true die hard runners. Also, there were gobs of teenagers there, - whole track teams from surrounding schools (a couple from 40 minutes away). I met up with a couple of gals from church and when the gun went off, we were off. Of course when I run for a TIMED event, I run solo, so off I went beating to my own tunes. The course for the run was kinda boring, but anything would have been boring because it was dark. I did pretty good for the first mile, the second mile I kinda dragged a bit too much, and the third mile I was more on target. I sprinted the last 50 meters and so did the gal that was right in front of me. When I crossed the finish line I wanted to puke. While we were all waiting for the results and awards, it started to rain. No big deal, it was hot outside and the rain was not a pour down, so we stayed. Well, 10 minutes later it was a total down pour with powerful gusts of wind. The awards part was totally cancelled and we all had to run back to our cars and leave the area. I got home around 12:45 am and was soaking wet and cold. I found out thru the Sunday paper that my time was 31.30 and I got 6th place in my age group of 30-39. Not that great, but hey, I did not walk once and I did not decide till that morning that I was going to run it. Not to mention that I was tired and had been busy the entire day. Nonetheless, I am glad I ran it. Thank you to all those who did not let me weeny out.

2 comments:

Lexy said...

Awesome! Good Job! Sounds like a lot of fun to me! =)

Katy said...

One day I will be a runner. For the last two weeks I've gotten up at 5 am to go running. I'm pretty proud of myself, but I have to admit...I don't love it, yet!! :P