Well, tonight I discovered that YES, YES you can burn jello. As a matter of fact, it can even explode into an enormous mess, smell really strange, and cause billows and billows of smoke.
(this picture was taken after about half of the mess was taken care of.
Sadly, it does not even do this event justice!)
Tonight I was preparing dinner for the missionaries. We had a set that was visiting from our Stake (one who served in our ward last Christmas) and our current set. I was trying to make black beans (the best ever might I add), prepare a salad, and bring the jello mixture to a rolling boil for the Blushing Pears. Well, I guess I miscalculated how quickly the jello would boil, because before I could even blink I heard a huge amount of noise coming from the stove. I quickly turned around to see my jello boiling over at a rapid pace. I quickly grab my large heavy pot as I watched the red jello quickly move to my laptop computer. So I grabbed it as fast as I could while screaming for Donald. Moments later Don comes into the kitchen to find the sizzling jello on the burner and jello spilling over onto the floor and the rest rushing across my counter top. We found a place for me to put the pot of jello and then I quickly inspected my computer. There was some jello on it and on my camera card, but I was able to save it! GO ME! Meanwhile, the jello on the stove top was now forming into some kind of clumpy mass. The only thing I think I could compare it to would be if you have ever made candy from scratch, and if that experience exploded, I would think it would a similar situation as to what I had today. I tried to scrape the gooey mess off of the burner because it was smelling up the kitchen so bad. The room was filled with smoke and we had all the doors open and the fans blowing. After the burner was completely cooled off, Donald was able to chip away the jello mess like you would chip away at an ice block.
After much elbow grease and about 30 minutes of both of us working, we were able to restore things to ALMOST normal.
Nonetheless, word to the wise would be - DON'T BURN YOUR JELLO!



4 comments:
Ugh! Jello messes are the worst. Once I put some in the fridge to set and it spilled...EVERYWHERE! However, I didn't notice until after it had solidified. UGH! Still, not as bad as burnt jello!
Jello, Jello, does anyone have any Jello? I think I'm out and I was so hoping to use the Jello for Trenton's Science Fair project. You know the one with the eruplting volcano. With what I saw it would work perfectly. Except, let's do it at school (I don't want to have to clean it up again).
Oh yuck!!! Okay, never burn jello. I learned something new! LOL
see Marla, aren't I so helpful! ;)
Post a Comment