Friday, July 4, 2008

We almost got THROWN out of the water park!

Ok, so Donald and I surprised Trent and Kolby by taking them to the water park Thursday. We had gotten a sitter for Tanner and Brook so that we could actually do water slides with the 2 older boys. When Trent and Kolby found out what we were doing, they were thrilled and were bursting with excitement the whole drive there (about 1 hour). We got the the park, and discover they had raised the admission price by $8.00 . Then they had both my boys stand against the wall to see if they were 48 inches, neither of them were, so they got arm bands. I asked what those were for (because in the past 4 years, we have never had to have arm bands for the kids) she said it was because they were not tall enough to go on the water slides but they could do the other stuff. It did not quite register in my head what she was saying, but we continued on our way and entered the park. We were having a great time, we floated down the lazy river some, played at Leaky Creaky (smaller water slides where there is water being sprayed everywhere and you are going to be drenched just by stepping over in that area) and then we headed for the wave pool. This is where things kinda took a turn. We were in the wave pool and a lifeguard comes up to me and says my boys need to have life jackets on. I told him "no, they did not need life jackets, that we were with our kids and they were fine." He said that since they are not 48 inches they need to wear life jackets. I said NO, I was not going to put life jackets on my kids, they were fine. He walked away. About 10 minutes later, another life guard came over and said the same thing, to which my reply was the same as before. She put up a bit more of a stink, so I told her that my boys know how to swim, they do not need life jackets in the wave pool and that we have been coming here for the past 4 years and never had to use them before, so NO,,, I was not going to put life jackets on my kids. She then left. About 10 minutes later, she came back, and said that her supervisor would like to talk with me. I said "sure." He explained that they need to wear life jackets because they are not 48 inches tall. I explained that I was NOT putting life jackets on my 7 and 5 year old, etc., etc., etc.. He then left. About 5 minutes later, his manager came over and wanted to talk with me. She explained the rule, and I explained my stance. She said I had it put life jackets on my children if they are to be in the wave pool. I explained to her that actually putting the unfit life jackets on my children was actually a safety HAZARD for them and that I was not going to put them in the situation. She got more firm. I became more firm as well. She explained we can leave the park. I told her that she is free to give us a full refund and we will leave the park. She said she could have us escorted out, I said not without a full refund. She became more frustrated, I became more frustrated. I kept explaining to her that my children do NOT need the life jackets ESPECIALLY because they do not fit and it is more dangerous than helpful. I explained that the water is 3 foot deep TOTAL in the entire wave pool and that my kids were FINE. My voice became elevated, she said we must leave the park immediately. I told her NO, not without a full refund. This went on for a good 10 minutes, then a security guard came up to us and another manager. I continued to stand my ground. They continued to explain that because of safety, my children must have life jackets on if they are to be in the wave pool. I asked them if they would make a dwarf wear a life jacket if he/she was not 48 inches tall, they said YES. I asked, so it does not matter the ability of the person, only the height? They said YES. I said "that is discrimination! you are discriminating against my family because we are SHORT?" They continued to say that it is for safety reasons because my child could get knocked down in the wave pool and put under and his life would be in danger. I argued that statement with " it that is the reason my child has to wear a life jacket then EVERYONE in this wave pool should wear a life jacket. Anyone can get knocked down, any size any age, and be in danger. Therefore, your 48 inches rule has no merit of safety, just height, which is discrimination against those who are short!" I said my 7 year old has been swimming for the past 4 years jumping off diving boards and swimming in the deep end, and you want him to wear a life jacket? They of course replied with a YES. I explained that there are children out there in the wave pool who are 4 years old who do not know how to swim, but they don't have to wear a life jacket. They said NO, because they are taller than 48 inches. So I say, "my 7 year old must wear a life jacket because he is SHORT? that is pure discrimination and has no merit of safety. This water is 3 foot deep total, and that if my son wore a life jacket, he could get knocked down, and because he is wearing the life jacket, he would remain being knocked down because of the buoyancy of the life jacket and the fact that others are knocking him around, he can not get his feet beneath him to stand up in the water. " They again try to throw us out of the water park. I tell them "NO, not without a full refund." They explain we are more than able to do the baby area, the beach area, leaky creaky and the lazy river. I explain that the lazy river and the beach area go all the way to 4 feet, but life jackets are not required. They said no, because they do not have the waves. We went in circles for a good 30 minutes, as we all stood in the wave pool, Donald, myself, both boys, 3 managers (fully dressed) and 2 security guards (fully dressed). Finally, I could see and they could see that there was no budging. My children were bored out of their minds and just wanted to go and swim. I explained that I always try to fallow the rules the best I can, but that this rule was ridiculous and absurd, that it had NOTHING to do with safety at all. Anyone of any height and age can get knocked down in the wave pool and be at risk making this 48 inches rule discrimination! I explained that I understand they are not the ones that make the rules, but they are required to enforce the rules. I explained that I would leave the wave pool as long as they promised this issue would be brought up to higher authorities because the rule has no merit of safety and that it discriminates against those who are not tall, and that is NOT right. They agreed to do this and thanked us for our cooperation. As we walked back to our towels, Trent asked me why they did not think he could swim in the water and why it mattered how tall he was. Tears just started streaming down my face, I could not stop them. After the frustration of the situation my heart was just breaking for my kids. It is just so sad that because my kids are SHORT that they have to miss out on things that other kids their age and YOUNGER get to do. I understand rules dealing with safety, like seat belts, roller coasters, etc. But for my children to have to wear life jackets in water that is only 3 feet tall because they do not meet the height requirement??? (by the way, the water came up to Trent's waist) It seriously breaks my heart. It teaches my kids that it is BAD to not be tall. It teaches them that they are different and should be looked at as LESS. Kids have so many battles they must face in this life, and to have this be one of them just tears me apart, because it has no merit on life. So now I am not certain on what I am going to do from here. I am going to right a letter of complaint, I just am not sure to whom. I am very frustrated about the situation and a small part of me wishes I had not stood up to them, but I had to, I had to stand up for my family, ya know what I mean? So what would you do?

5 comments:

Katy said...

Good for you. That would be totally frustrating. At the pool where we go, if a child isn't tall enough, but can swim, they have them pass off their swimming by swimming the length of the pool. It sounds like your kids could have easily passed it, and I highly doubt they would have a adult little person wear a life jacket!!

I feel so bad that you took your older boys to the pool without the younger kids so that you could actually do stuff, just to find out that you "couldn't do stuff". I would definitely write a letter, and send some suggestions on how they could remedy the problem too (as in passing a swimming test).

Marla said...

I already told ya, but I'm sorry that you had to deal with that!! Not fair or fun!

Mindy said...

Good for you! That is an idiotic rule, and im glad you stood your ground.

Anonymous said...

I find this very sad too. I've been in a big wave pool and can understand some limitations on that but for those who aren't good swimmers. I would have raised a stink about it too and hope that your complaints are heard.
Katrina

Anonymous said...

Hey Camille, loved your story. This is the first time I have visited your blog. I had something similar happen to me a few years ago in Idaho. It was at a water slide and my kids were not wearing life jackets at first, but at the change of shifts, they said Alex ( who could swim at two years) had to have a life jacket on. She was 7 or 8 years old. It was a dumb rule that they had about height, not how well of a swimmer the child was. I asked them what would they do if a 40 year old midget wanted to go down the slide, would he/she have to wear a life jacket? Obvisouly someone who is 40 should not be waring a life jacket. This took them a little off guard. I ended up putting a life jacket on her.
Melissa