Sunday, January 20, 2008

a NEW kind of bishop (or something like that?!?!?)

3 days in a row of posting - WOW,,, I am amazed at myself!!! Nonetheless, I really wanted to share about our Sunday meetings today.

We got a call yesturday afternoon letting us know that church was cancelled due to the snow are really cold temps. We were shocked that church would be cancelled for only a few inches of snow, but we certainly are not the ones making the decisions. So because we would not be attending church we decided to have our own spiritual meeting at home.

Donald and I decided that we would having our meeting at 10:00 a.m. (this way we could sleep in and relax, and also that would be when Brooklyne would be down for her morning nap). We asked Trent and Kolby to plan a lesson and Don and I would do the rest. Well, when 10:00 a.m. around, we put Brook to bed and headed downstairs. Trent and Kolby had it all set up for their lesson. Trent had made a bench/pew for us to sit on (this would be my step for step-aerobics, and one pillow for mommy to sit on - - what a sweet young man taking care of him mother). Trent had also pulled out the kids table from the playroom, put a blanket over it (to hide the stuff for the lesson underneath) and had two stools for Kolby and himself to sit on. Anyway, Don and I sat down with Tanner. Trent asked me to come to the pulpit and give the opening prayer. He then asked me if I could stand and wave my arm around while we same a song. We sang the Holy Ghost song and I lead the music. Kolby then handed Trent the "scriptures" (this being a folded up peice of blue construction paper) and he asked Trent to read the scriptures to us. Trent proceeded to tell the story of Abinadi and how he was a prophet who told King Noah that he would die the same way that Abinadi dies. He the continues with how they tied him to a tree with rope and that he died by fire, and that King Noah was scared and ran away but his own people who ran with him ended up killing him by burning him in a fire. (I guess he does listen to us when we read the scriptures at night). After the scripture lesson Trent fallowed that up with a lesson about army men and army planes. (yes, we are still confused on this one as well) I guess last Sunday in his class, his teacher was talking about ways that we can be like Jesus and also army men. So anyway, Trent had made an army airplane for each of us and put our favorite numbers on them. He then told us that when we do things like Jesus that we can put the airplanes up in the hallway. Next on the Sunday meeting agenda was Kolby reading the scriptures. He grabs the "scriptures", opens them up, and starts reading in a very authoratative voice "NOW BEHOLD, MY BRETHREN . . . " at this point he looks up and notices that Don and I are smiling. He got all embarrassed and flustered. I asked him if he would like some help, so I came up to the pulpit (ummmm the table) and and whispered James 1:5 in his ear and he repeated it. When Kolby was done, Tanner helped me lead our family in a closing song I Will Fallow Gods Plan. Trenton then stood and gave the closing prayer.

The reason I even share this little experience is because I think we forget or do not realize how much knowledge they are really intaking into their brains. I am so grateful that we have the gospel in our lives and that our children are learning the things that are being taught.

3 comments:

Sharrid said...

So, should we refer to him as Bishop Trent?!!!!! Way to go, boys!!!

whitney said...

That's so sweet! What wonderful little boys you have-they certainly must pay some amount of attention at church and home. Things like this make you realize that you must be doing something right, ya know.

Sarah Schwartz said...

WOW! I am impressed with your boys!!!! That is such a great story to record here on the blog. Thanks for sharing.