Wednesday, February 6, 2008

the complexity of the mind of a 7 year old.

I am left all too often with my mouth wide open and my mind just blank as can be after hearing or seeing some of the things Trenton comes up with. I am not the type to try and "toot my childs horn" or think my kids are "all that and a bag of chips" or that they are these amazing beings who far surpass all others and that they must have some extraordinary talent or ability. NOPE,, I am definately not one of those moms. I actually tend to lean more to the "my kids are average" type of croud. Don't get me wrong, I am very proud of my kids and they amaze me all the time, but I just assume that every child amazes their parents.

Anyway, I digress . . . . so back on topic: Trent has done a couple things in the last few weeks that just leave me speachless -------- simply because I just have no idea how to respond to him.
1st, a couple weeks ago Trent decided to make lizard cloths. yes, you read that correctly, LIZARD cloths! Where he came up with idea is beyond my comprehension, but he felt very strongly about making these shirts. I wonder if he was worried about the lizards outside after it snowed and was so cold. maybe he felt they needed the warmth of a nice new flannel shirt??? hummmmmmm. Nonetheless, he made a few different lizard shirts and pants. he used some of my moms fabric from PJ's and taped the pieces together in lieu of sewing them. WALLA,, he now had a flannel soccer clothing line for his lizards! OH WAIT,,, HE HAS NO LIZARDS!!!! Now in his defense, he and Kolby do like to catch lizards in the back yard, but he had not had any captured creatchers in a several weeks. Well, yesturday Trenton was finally able to find his first live model to show off the new threads. This must be a very well trained lizard and it certainly was not his first gig,,, because he was very well behaved and posed beautifully for pictures.

Ok,, so in addition to the high fashion line designed for lizards, Trent has been spending a lot of time BUILDING! A few days ago Trent and grandpa were playing in the backyard and before anyone knew it - a house was being build. Now for the first two days I did not worry about this "house" that was being built - I mean come on,,, he is a 7 year old boy! Well, as I was working in the kitchen yesturday afternoon I noticed this large apparatus being lugged over to Trent's beloved abode. I guess he snatched a down spout from the side of my neighbors house for his construstion project. I Quickly told him he needed to get rid of the thing and I went back inside. He then came into the house with a sense of self-importance and asked me a series of questions. He asked me if I thought our house needed a down spout, I told him yes. Well I guess he was hoping that would me my response because he seemed to stand a bit taller and with more confidence after that. He then declared to me that it is very important for the house that he is building to have a down spout as well. He said that anyone builing a house would put one on, so he needed one too. I tried to tell him that he had no need for the drain spout since he did not have walls and a ceiling - he then got very deffensive and explained that "I am still building those!" I told him he needed to take it back to the neighbors house NOW and we could readdress the issue when he has a bunch of walls and a ceiling. He walked off a bit poignant and headed to the bathroom (or his room I really am not sure). I guess he was pretty frustrated because Donald went in and was talking to him. And this is where Trent continue to defend his reasoning for the much needed down spout. He told Don he needed it for the house because the house needs a drainage system. Don told him that it was not going to work. Trent argued Donald's statement declaring that he knew how to make it work and where to put it. He explained that he would hook up the spout to the drain pipe we have in our backyard (the one that is suppose to be completely burried, but part of it shows, - thank you previous owners!). There is a whole in the pipe in the ground (kinda like it cracked or chipped there, it is several inches of an opening) and Trent wanted to hook his new found treasure of the down spout up to the hole in our drainage pipe and therefore we would not need to worry about any water run off from his house because it would go into the pipe and directly out to the ditch.
I just want to know - - - WHERE DOES HE COME UP WITH THIS STUFF???? My mind just does not work this way and he leaves me in bewilderment. I mean how do you tell a child who is being creative and really THINKING - that his ideas are not so great?!?!? Maybe, there really is not a correct answer to that, maybe I should avoid thinking about how to tell him what he is NOT doing correctly and focus on the AWESOMENESS that he is actually a THINKER!

3 comments:

Sarah Schwartz said...

So cute! I love it!!!! What a thinker you have. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

Melissa said...

That is so cute!! A total little man in the making. It's so funny how boys & girl's are wired so differently. Your boys are so stinkin cute!! Their faces in all your family pictures are so funny!! You have such a beautiful family!!

whitney said...

What a smart little boy you have! I LOVE the lizard clothes!