Monday, April 6, 2009

Colored by silk

On Sunday, between sessions, Donald and I tried a new egg dying activity.  My friends have a website called: www.ourbestbites.com, and if you scroll down a bit, you will find the silk tie dying activity.  Welll, we decided to give it a try.  

We colored 3 eggs (I know, I sure went over board here, ha ha ha).  I let the boys pick out the ties and then the work began.  First we had to take apart the ties, then we had to cut them into a proper useable size. After that you have you wrap the RAW egg as tight as possible with the silk material followed by some white cotton fabric (that would be a cut up old sheet).  Pop those eggs in a pot of water with some vinigar and boil for 20 minutes.  Let it cool a bit, and then unvail your beauties.  It was so fun to see how they all unfolded.  

We are going to do some more this week, but I want to get all the prep work done first so that it is easier for the kids and doesn't take as long.  










5 comments:

Marla said...

Oh wow!! Those are so cool!! I swear you are the coolest most fun mom ever!! LOVE THEM!!

Sarah O. said...

OOOOHHHHH!!! YOUR EGGS TURNED OUT SUPER FAB!! I'll keep you posted on my tie-hunt...

camille said...

Marla, if only you could be as rad as me! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. ok, so really, if only I could be more like YOU! =P

Sarah, btw, I think I will be able to do 3 eggs with one tie. you need to try doing some eggs with what you have already. go get crack'n girly.

whitney said...

What a fun idea! They turned out just fabulous-I'm uber-impressed at your craftiness.

The Sedrick Menagerie said...

Wow! you are the bomb. I have become a dud mom. I need to get with the program and start doing fun things like this with my kids again. I added you to my blog list, hope thats ok. Enjoy your squirrel stew, do you have a good reciepe? I love to cook new things!! Just do not tell my kids the secret ingred.